Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Always a Scientist

I think I'm ill. I don't have any reliable proof, but everything is pointing to that. My eyes are very watery. I constantly look like I just sneezed. Actually I think I did sneeze in the morning. My nose is watery, but well, it always is. I'm feeling lightheaded - it could be from not sleeping so well, but then why am I feeling it now if I felt perfectly okay in the morning. Some of my muscles are sore and the rest of them are just weak today. It feels like I had an intense workout yesterday and now I'm recuperating, but that makes no sense.

Cute painting

There seems to be less oxygen in air or somehow air feels warm and thin when I inhale it. You know, like warm water feels less fulfilling to drink than cold water, warm air feels like it has less oxygen in it even if that's not really true. (or actually it is, as air expands when it's warmed up and one liter of air has less oxygen molecules.)

And my final reason for thinking I'm ill - I think I have a fever! I bought a first-aid thermometer. It's one of those really cool things - I hold a thin piece of plastic against my forehead and the temperature changes the colors in different boxes there. I can see how 36.8C would also make "37C" box colorful, but mine also showed very clear color in "38C" box. Fortunately my fever never goes very high and a simple cold usually just slows me down.

Over 37C then?

haha. I just realized. It's probably ridiculous to even list all the reasons why I think I'm ill. Most people just think, "I don't feel okay. I think I'm ill." and here I am trying to prove it to myself. I suppose that's one of the scientist features in me.

A friend in Estonia contacted me in the morning and asked me about some plane. I was like, "what plane?" "The plane that crashed down in San Diego." And I was like, "wow, really? When?". As it turns out, yesterday at noon an F-18 crashed into residential houses just 5 miles from where I live. The pilot catapulted and was practically unharmed, but the family - 4 people - in the house with a plane inside died.

A is where I live and B is where the plane crashed

I talked about the plane crash with some people here in San Diego and I definitely wasnt's the only one who heard the news from across the world. But yeah, yesterday I did wonder why there were so many helicopters flying past our house and when I closed the veranda door in the afternoon I thought I smelled smoke. Anyway, I'm okay. I'm just sad I don't have a picture of the plane going down or anything like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, seda on küll jama kuulda. Loodetavasti saad nohust siiski enne lennusõitu lahti - usu mind, tunne võib olla päris-päris vastik. (Nõelad otsaesises jne.)

Paar linki:
http://www.epl.ee/artikkel/451683 - Sul ikka on biomeetriline pass, onju?

Ja http://www.ajaleht.ut.ee/452549 :)

Kris said...

:) mul on biomeetriline bass. Pärast pulmi tegin koos ID-kaartiga. Seal on isegi minu sõrmejäljed talletatud kiibile minuteada. Saatkonnas võeti minu sõrmejäljed ja siis riiki sisenedes kontrolliti neid.

Väga lahe, et diskussioon sel doktoranditeemal veel kestab. :)