Sunday, December 21, 2008

Last Day in Paradise

I'm all packed and ready to go to sleep. I'm not sure if I'm sleepy but I'm waking up at 3.40 and the airport shuttle will pick me up at 5 am. I'd rather sleep 30 minutes less than be in a hurry in the morning. If I have to leave in a hurry I will start to make mistakes. I might forget something here or lock a suitcase in the apartment or something stupid like that.

So how to spend the last day in a place like this... I deliberately slept in to get rest before my long travel. Then I had breakfast - I will miss the vanilla-almond granola with natural dried strawberries and Lucern's milk. Then I looked outside and saw that it's a beautiful sunny day. It was supposed to be cloudy and 16 degrees, but the sun was so warm, so I went out sunbathing. Nice excuse to read my book as well! When I was all warm and getting red two and a half hours later, I went for a walk and got myself a morning coffee - peppermint mocha twist at Starbucks. It's one of their holiday specials that I tried once before and really enjoyed.

But then I got busy and active. I packed, I did laundry, I vacuumed the carpets, I cleaned my sink, I organized what I'm leaving behind for the roommate. Quite a lot of stuff, but it would have been stupid to try to consume everything before I go. There's toothpaste, macaroni, my precious sandwich bags, peppermint tea, a couple of cans of vegetables (e.g. crushed tomatoes), etc.

Then I packed some more and saw that I have a lot of room left over in my luggage and I'm no where near the weight limit. I RULE for accomplishing that! I thought I'd have trouble fitting everything in my one suitcase! I'm leaving behind a pair of heavy $6 sandals that hurt my feet and I'm leaving with less cosmetic stuff than I came with. I'm taking the valuable stuff, but I have no reason to take the half-empty bottles that I brought here all the way from Estonia.

Seeing all that extra space in my suitcase gave me a good healthy grin - CANDY! I can fill all that space with American sweets! So I went shopping for the last time and I bought just about as much candy as I could possibly fit in the suitcase. Now I really hope that the airport doesn't lose the luggage and I can bring all those sweets home to share with my brothers and sisters. Foreign candy might taste just as good as all other candy, but it's foreign so it's special! I'm sure they'll be delighted.

Will Miss vs. Not Gonna Miss

Will Miss: Friendly people. I was surprised that people actually hold the door open if you're right behind them - in Estonia they often just smack the door in your face if you're not paying attention. Here they say "have a good day" with a smile that looks like they actually mean it. In Estonia, they say it very casually because they know, and you know, that they are just being polite.

Sleep time. :) Good night - long journey ahead.

No comments: