Monday, December 29, 2008

Time to Wrap It Up

It's been over a week since I got back and I'm still terribly jet lagged. Usually at 7 pm I feel like my body weighs a ton and my eyelids are half of that weight. I have been having evening naps just because I am would otherwise fall asleep at my computer or in front of the TV. That's what being old must feel like. :D

Ever since I got back, I have seen the world a little differently. Cars look older here, I notice old buses that no one would voluntarily get into in San Diego, some buildings have crumbling walls. But also, buildings have character, each street looks unique, most of the trees look like people built the houses between the trees not the other way around. It's cold here but I don't really mind. I have all my winter coats and things here.

Sand belongs on the slippery ice not in the pile with tunnels inside!

Besides, I can get a warm mug of Glögg whenever I want. People drink obviously more in Estonia. I'm mostly sad that cider has alcohol in it. All casual events are with alcohol. I didn't really notice alcohol at all in San Diego anymore but here I often have thoughts like, "Wine DOES sound good right now. oh wait. I'm pregnant. Never mind...". It doesn't cause stress, but it's just one of the differences.

One thing has definitely changed - I don't avoid grocery shopping so desperately. I used to be happy to leave this task to my husband. In exchange I stayed at home and washed the dishes ... that I had made. No but really. When I wasn't at home, the apartment was constantly clean and there was no mess anywhere. When I got home, it was all messy again. Well, it's not horribly bad, but I seem to be a true dish-generator. I have been washing all the dishes once or twice each day, but there's still a few plates lying around. I wish we had room for a dishwasher.

But I was talking about grocery shopping. I used to avoid it as if the store clerks had the plague. They're really unfriendly and I don't like to be in a store. Now I almost volunteer to get groceries. If I go shopping myself, I get to buy all the things I have been craving. Also, I get to leave all the things I've started to dislike since pregnancy. I was pretty much bored with our menu anyway. The only problem is that even when pregnant I am less picky about food than my husband so I always have to get something that he would definitely eat. And don't think, "pffff, everyone knows pregnant women eat all the time and anything they get their hands on!". That's not true. Pregnant women eat ridiculous amounts of certain things but they're really picky about food in general. "This smells funny. This has a weird color. This feels different."

Now I'm very pregnant already. I have a huge round belly. Each time I walk past a mirror I stop. Then I try to adjust my shirt so it doesn't show my stomach as disproportionally huge. Hopeless. I even try to adjust my posture. Then I call out to my husband, "Erkki! Honey, it's been growing AGAIN!".

I still eat oranges and these really ARE different. Oranges in Estonia are mostly imported from Spain. When it comes to quality, most places sell the best oranges you could get in San Diego. No one bothers to transport ugly green oranges. The difference between Spanish and Californian oranges is the texture. Spanish oranges have really thin membranes between slices so they're really messy to peal and pull apart. The fastest and least messy way to eat them is to peal them and then cut up into bite-size pieces. This generates 1 knife, one cutting board, and one bowl worth of dirty dishes but it's worth it.

Spanish oranges also look like there's tiny oranges inside

Yap yap yap... I'm totally getting side tracked here. What I really wanted to say with this blog post is that I'm already back in my routine life of messing up the apartment, being paranoid about how loosely my clothes fit and eating lots of Spanish oranges. My trip to San Diego is over, hence, this blog is over. It is time to wrap it up.

Thank you everyone who's been reading the blog. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have written it. I have to admit I've had a really fun time blogging and making pictures I otherwise wouldn't have made - like a picture of a cereal box or a picture of Oreo cookies. I'm really glad I wrote all those blog posts.

Blogging seems to be something that suits me. Now that this blog has ended, I have started another blog: Being A Parent With a Life. That blog is about pregnancy and about preserving my life after I have a kid. It will hardly have posts like, "AWWWW IT DROOLED ALL OVER THE PLACE! HOW CUTE!". Like, ewwwww! No! It will be about NOT changing into a typical mother who can't do anything but talk about the stupid things their kids do. The new blog will be weekly and probably a bit more feminine because pregnancy and taking care of a baby tends to be! No icky stuff, but I don't want really vague talk either. I'll find a balance. I don't think it will gross guys out, but I suppose women are more likely to actually look for such information on the Internet, so I assume the average reader will eventually be around 25 yo female planning to have kids or just comparing with their own experiences. No point in planning ahead too much though. I'll start blogging and I'll see where it ends up.

Anyway, BEEN FUN! FAREWELL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaa :)

"It will hardly have posts like, "AWWWW IT DROOLED ALL OVER THE PLACE! HOW CUTE!". Like, ewwwww! No!"

No seda ma tahaksin küll näha. Selles mõttes, et vaatame aasta pärast uuesti. ;)

Kris said...

Vaatame jah aasta pärast. Ma tean et lapsed muudavad inimest aga mitte nii palju.

Anonymous said...

Väga armas, et sa pühendad suurt tähelepanu ka oma lugejatele. See muudab blogilugemise familiaarsemaks ja tekitab parema kontakti lugeja ning kirjatüki vahel. Ma pean lisaks ära mainima, et hindasin kõrgelt sinu regulaarseid postitusi, mida ma ise kindlasti eales teha ei suudaks, eriti välisreisi ajal. Ja Sinu kirjastiil meeldis mulle ka väga. Loodan, et kohtume peagi ka päriselus, kuid kindlasti saab minust ka sinu uue blogi regulaarne lugeja - jään ju enam-vähem täpselt selle sihtgruppi. :)