Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Been a While

I have my computer again, but it's in very bad state. There's only Windows and some really basic programs. Keyboard is in English. This means I can't write special Estonian letters - I'm okay with that! I mostly type in English anyway. I'm even okay with guessing where the symbols are. I've spent enough time on USA computers that I just look away and I type without thinking about the symbols or keys and I end up with \ or ' or _ or whatever I need. But that's not the entire story. My computer currently has RAM problem and it crashes every 10-60 min, usually with no warning. When I use Skype I can be sure it's closer to 10 minutes. Maybe I can get it fixed tomorrow. The computer repairs group in the university is the REALLY GOOD and I'd like to use this chance to say UCSD computer desk RULEEESSSS!!!!!!

It's been a long time since I last wrote a real blog post and I won't even try to write everything in my usual detail. But the computer issue came at quite a bad time because those were really active days and there would have been a lot to write about. In stead of trying to generalize Friday to Tuesday into a really general comment, "It was FUN TIMES" I'll try to sum each day into a couple of sentences.

Friday
Computer crashed in the morning so I decided it was the best time to either get totally wasted or to start smoking again! That's a time very inconvenient for being pregnant! We spent the evening with Germans in Pacific Beach pubs and clubs. It was so much fun that I barely even thought about the computer there.

The last thing you want to see as the first thing in the morning

Saturday
Really chilly during the day. I bought some maternity clothing and then I got home - no computer, nothing on TV, cold, tired from turning in so late. I had nothing other to do than read my new book slouching on my bed. Within 15 minutes I was asleep. So basically - without a computer the best other option is to sleep to just pass time. Spent the evening partying with the Germans in Pacific Beach again. Even with the 1-hour bus ride, it was time well spent.

A pub where even water burns

Sunday
CORONADO!!!! There's an island in San Diego, connected by a bridge and ferry transportation from downtown. Sebastian, the guy who I drove to LA with, was spending his last day in San Diego before going back home. He had been to Coronado and totally loved it. This time we went there together as a group of four. It was possibly the most fun day during my entire stay here in San Diego. I was laughing so much I started to feel it in my abs. We ate at a really cute American breakfast place with a long round counter and a jukebox. Waitress was wearing an old-fashioned pink uniform and they were selling pies. Rachel arrived in the evening just as we were arriving in downtown San Diego on a ferry back from Coronado. I met her at the train station.

From Coronado - one of the prettiest islands I've ever seen

Monday
All ready for three fun days with Rachel, we got up early and looked out the window. RAIN, rain and more rain. No umbrellas or rain coats. We had planned to do quite a lot of walking, so we started our journey with a trip to Vons to get umbrellas. How nice that their umbrella order had just been delayed and they were not selling any umbrellas. Then we walked to my ATM - I needed more cash to get a new hard drive. We got even more wet and now my socks were totally soaked.

Before!

I bought a hard drive from the all-purpose bookstore and took it to the computer help desk. 15 minutes later they gave me a call and let me know that the hard drive wasn't what I had bought. The box just said 80GB EIDE ($59.99) and contained 60GB Toshiba - kind of hard drive they don't even sell there! I got a full refund and they remembered that the hard drive was especially ordered and later returned. Unfortunately the jerk brought back his old hard drive with some of his old data still on it! They had no idea what to do with it so I suggested posting his data on the Internet just for fun. No luck with getting the computer fixed. The evening was lots of fun. We baked a pumpkin pie with Rachel and made cookies from ready-made dough. We cook really well!


After!

Tuesday
Hunt for a hard drive. We took a 1-hour bus ride to an unknown place to visit a BestBuy store. I got a 250 GB EIDE for $99.99 and took it to the computer help desk at the very last moment - they put it in and installed Win XP on it. One guy even stayed a little overtime so I could get the computer the same day. I feel guilty about that, but really happy that I could finally have a conversation with my husband in the evening. That was long overdue. Me and Rachel had Chinese food and a stay-in movie night after another rainy day. After two days of being soaked, my shoes finally dried.

Rain tends to be wet

Wednesday - I mean TODAY!
Me and Rachel took a morning bus to down town. Our initial plan was to walk around down town until her train departs so we see as much of daytime down town as possible. Our perfect plan was kinda ruined by the rain that was pouring down very heavily the entire night and still not getting lighter before noon. 10 minutes outdoors and my shoes were already squishy wet. We walked around as long as we endured the rainy weather and then went to the train station.

Walking on the boat costs $14 which is a bit too much for walking on slippery wet wood

No comments: