Thursday, December 4, 2008

Did anyone say "chicken"?

I bought a gift today! I needed the impossible: $20, never met the person receiving it. Fortunately, I had a gift idea - I decided to get a really nice fancy notebook, something like an idea diary but very cool and black and a matching high-quality black and metal fancy pen. Coupled with some nice note saying "...so none of the best ideas are forgotten.", it would make a great gift for almost anyone. And it's stylish and asexual.

And if that fails I'll just get a chemistry cocktail set that I once saw in the same store, so I'm all covered. The cocktail set was a bit silly but can be used and seemed like it would make a great gift. So today I went to the bookstore and looked at the prices. The kind of notebooks that I was looking for cost $30-40 and the chemistry cocktail set costs $43. Like OH MY GOD - the prices! Oh well, have to find something else.

Dull red of fall.

I looked around the store and got another idea! I bought a thermos cup - people love those here! They're almost as popular as flip-flops! Every morning on the bus there's at least 3 people with a thermos cup and at least 3 more with coffee cups from some coffee place like Starbucks. I don't like take-out coffee but even I would find a use for a good thermos cup if I got it as a gift. Just a thermos cup alone would, however, be boring. So I also got a small book that lists all the cocktail recipes that you could possibly imagine! And the best part - together, they were only a little over $20 and the store has free gift-wrapping with the store receipt. I've done the impossible!

Bright red of fall.

I ate so much fruit today. I ate apple and 2/3 of a big watermelon, half of the reddest pomegranate I'd ever seen and I also ate some oranges. And I feel great! Ah, fruits just rule!

I also eat a lot of meat too as it turns out! On Monday I bought 2 pounds (1kg) of ground beef and 4 chicken legs. All for myself! This is a good amount for a whole family, enough for 3 or 4 meals. Well, I'm eating all I buy, so I thought that amount would last me for a while. I initially decided to freeze some of it. Well, it's all gone now! That was good for 6 meals! But I'm very proud of myself - with all that fruit and meat, I haven't bought any pastries or chocolate.

Costco's shopping warehouse.

My roommate told me she's going to Costco's today and asked if I wanted to come. Sure! My entire San Diego trip is about saying "yes" to anything that I haven't done before (except for things I just wouldn't ever do). Costco's looks like a plane hangar on the outside and like a huge warehouse on the inside. This is the real American warehouse store with some shelves up to the ceiling. Only people with a member card can get in and fortunately also people who go there with someone with a member card. They sell things for a small price in large quantities. I was hoping to find really nice oranges, but in stead, I bought 4lbs of chicken. That should last me awhile, right?

Anyway, it seems I keep impressing people with how much I eat. First I impressed Rachel with the amount of popcorn I ate in the movie theatre in LA and now I impressed my roommate with the amount of chicken I won't even freeze because I know it will be long gone by the time I get to the expiration date!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Flip-flops? Nagu et... inimesed käivad plätudega ringi?

Meil siin algas just jälle talv! Ühe paiku hakkas sadama laia jõululund ja sadas kohe mitumitu tundi. Väljas on küll plusskraadid, nii et kogu see valge ollus on pigem lörtsiläga, aga ikkagi. Aknast välja vaadata oli väga südantkosutav.

Kris said...

Osad hullud on veel jah plätudega! Flip-flop on ainult need varbavahe-plätud, nagu sa ilmselt tegelt tead. Aga üldiselt on selleks juba liiga külm. :) Nüüd pole vihma tulnud, aga pühapäeval pidi tulema.