Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thirty Four after Three

So basically yesterday was a LONG day. And I don't mean it as a simple typical exaggeration that you would constanty hear from girls. I mean I had a REALLY LONG DAY! Well, it started with me sleeping 3 hours and getting up at 3.40 am to make sure I don't miss my flight. And it ended a few timezones away and 34 hours later. Yes you got it - I was up 34 hours straight.

My flights were horribly planned by the travel agent with as small time gaps as she could find. "Disaster," I said when I saw the flight schedule the first time. "How does she expect me to catch a flight Within 1 hour 10 minutes on 23rd of December in one of the biggest airports in Europe, in Stockholm Arlanda airport?". As a flight planner she should have known that the second and the third flight were by companies who don't have any contract together. So she should have known that I would aslo have to take out my luggage, check it back in and go throught the security gate. Should have, but didn't, because she was a moron.

Ah why bash someone with no context... As I told you guys yesterday, my first flight with Continental was delayed one full hour. But as Continental is by far the coolest airplane company, they arrived to the next airport with very little delay. Then I got on the second Continental airplane and they took off also with a huge delay, I think even more than an hour. And again, they arrived with very little delay, only about 20 minutes. I went to get my luggage. I was standing and waiting, looking at all those people pulling their suitcase off the luggage conveyer belt and mine just wouldn't come. Some of the luggage that was from our plane did almost ten rounds there. Time was ticking and by the time my suitcase finally appeared it was obvious I wouldn't make it. My plane was already departing.

Some parts of the airport looked abandoned

I missed my plane, bought a new ticket for $400 and waited 8 hours for the plane. I couldn't just sleep there because I didn't want to leave my stuff unguarded. That wasn't what bothered me. Usually airplane companies take responsibility for getting the passenger on the next plane, but not when the different flights are by different companies with no contract. I basically had two different reservations made - first from San Diego to Stockholm via two planes and like a totally seperate trip from Stockholm to Tallinn. If I don't get on the next flight it's my own responsibility. Fortunately I had travel insurance so they will refund me for the ticket because Continental plane was 20 minutes late. I feel bad for that - I would really blame it all on the lady who thought 1 hour 10 minutes was enough to get off the plane, get luggage, check in luggage, go through security check and go through the right gate. And unless I learn to teleport, I would also have to walk to all of those places. Sorry lady, no superpowers yet!

8 hours is a long time. It was freezing cold outside so I couldn't stay there more than 10 minutes. Indoors was nice as well. Finally the plane came and I got home. Altogether 29 hours of travel and 34 hours of being awake. It was good to finally be reunited with my husband. I missed him. I could finally show how much my stomach had grown. I could finally hug him.

Candle light lunch with my husband in Olde Hansa restaurant in Tallinn

And so I don't forget... Merry Christmas everyone! :)

No comments: