Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ghost resurrected

I've had a nice Sunday of sleeping in, buying some essentials at the store (really can't do without a basic body lotion if you're in such weather), swimming in the pool and sunbathing. I almost look like human now. When I got here, I was so white that I could have been the basis of a brand new race. Like really! I was ghost-white. The German girl even commented on that after I was caught in a picture next to a bronze-skinned guy. I didn't take any offence because it was just so true. However, I thought that a little bit of a healthy tan wouldn't hurt, so I made plans to sunbathe for sure. Time to go from ghost complextion to a human one!

Mmmmm... Swimming...

The water in the pool was a bit too cold today. I didn't mind the couple of bees floating there. There's also a jacuzzi near the pool and the water there was waaaay too warm for me. I think I'm gonna have to try the jacuzzi some evening near midnight.

Hard to get used to the palm trees.

Since I hardly did anything worth documenting today, I wanted to talk about being a pedestrian in USA. Before I came here, I heard that it is impossible to walk here. I heard that the cities here are full of really dangerous areas where you lock your car doors, close the windows and step on the gas a little. And if you try to walk, you are just asking for trouble - you get mugged and depending on the circumstances, also raped and beaten up. Okay, I thought, I'll be careful but I'm still gonna see if walking is possible here. I kinda like walking. Now I'm here and I have to admit here I am less paranoid about my safety than I am in Tartu or Tallinn.

People said it's impossible to get from one place to another without a car because the public transportation is just so awful. I have not seen that at all. I was quite hesitant about taking the bus, but to my great surprise, it's much cleaner than it is in Estonia. Everyone buys a ticket because you don't even get into the bus without one. Most people have a sticker or a bus permit or a monthly pass, but you can also buy a single ticket and that costs $5. This means there are no homeless people on buses. In Estonia, the buses often stink REALLY bad because some homeless guy is in there. Especially in the winter because the bus is so nice and warm. In the summer they just use the bus to get from one place to another. So basically, in the winter they stay there long enough to fill the bus with the stink and in the summer the warmed up stink is horrible enough so that the bus fills up the moment they enter. Quite bad. Most people don't like to take the bus because of the smell. But here in San Diego the buses have air conditioning, they're clean and the inside of the bus smells fresh.

The buses also seem to be on time and they seem very reliable. However, I didn't say you can rely on the public transport here. The problem is that San Diego is just so big! The German girl said that one time she missed the last bus and tried walking home. It didn't seem so far on the map. So after two hours she had covered only one third of the way! Yeah, in Tartu when we miss the last bus, we have to walk home too but it's not gonna take us 6 hours to do so!

So all in all, the buses are great, but you can't get everywhere with a bus and then you need your car.

Scorching sun.

Walking is annoying for one reason though. The cars come first! ALWAYS! It's so annoying that every time I need to cross the street, I have to wait for a really long time for the light to turn green. The intersections are huge and I push the button - first one direction goes straight, then one direction turns left, then the other direction goes straight and then the other direction turns left. And I just stand and wait there, watching 50 cars going before I get to cross the street. I spend as much time waiting to cross than I do walking. Ah, so annoying. I really hate waiting.

Close enough to Mexico to see one of those things.

But I always imagine that at least I can get a tan if I wait in the sun. We'll see how tanned I've gotten when I'm back in Estonia.

BTW, they're already selling Christmas stuff in a few stores. Every time I see Christmas stuff I think of home, because that's my deadline. I'll be back in Estonia on the 23rd of December, so the countdown til Christmas is pretty much the countdown to going home.

No comments: