Monday, November 10, 2008

Oh wow! What a day!

I was actually quite glad to sleep through most of the day yesterday because the future was looking grim. I don't think I've mentioned it in the blog yet, but I'm in San Diego for scientific reasons. I had decided to go to the local lab the first chance I got - on Monday morning. However, I didn't have a notebook, I didn't receive a reply from the person I was supposed to be working with, I wasn't quite sure where the lab was, I was supposed to make an appointment and then go to their office to get an ID card but I didn't quite understand where the office was, and I before I could even start work, I needed lab safety training, but the person I had contacted on the topic hadn't emailed me back either, so I had no idea when I would even get a permit to start my work in the lab. (not "work" as in the legal sense where I'd need a working permit too).


None of these small campus roads are marked on the map.

Being really unsure about my situation, I just went and walked to the lab. Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time finding out where it is exactly. It was pretty amazing how different this lab is from our lab in Estonia! In Estonia, we have this new lab with a lot of empty space and brand new equipment. Their lab looked like something that a chemistry dictionary spat out. Shelves up to the ceiling full of chemical bottles and abandoned equipment. Old desks with drawers with marking who it belongs to and piles of tubes with odd markings. Each table looked like it had their own system of clutter because each belonged to a different person. Actually most labs look like this. And it wasn't messy. It just didn't have enough storage space left, so people kept their things on the desks. I was just walking around introducing myself. So many Chinese people, BTW. And a map of Japan on the wall. Made me quite curious but I didn't ask. I asked about the person I was supposed to be working with. That was followed by a lot of really fast talk in Chinese and then they told me, "She's not coming in this week." Ummmm... Ooookay! And then I found out about the lab safety training - "You'll have that next Wednesday." Can things get any worse? Well of course they can! So then one person suggested a table where I should work. And the other person said I can't work there because 3 people are already working there and there are no free tables left!

UCSD mascot. Apparently with legs of a treant!

I hanged around a little while longer, saw some cool things... But I was still worried. Then I went out for a walk and went to the beach. It took me forever to get there. I knew there had to be a beach nearby, because I had seen a campus photo with a beach nearby and my map ended with La Jolla Shores Drive. So perhaps it will take me to the shore. I was right. It was all nice and fun walking to the ocean, but I kinda didn't realize that I'd have to walk all the way back uphill.

At least 50 surfers out on the ocean. The waves didn't quite invite to have a swim though.

I also found a place that sold me my first USA burger. Wasn't too bad. There was twice as much meat as I'd get from a typical Estonian diner food, and half the amount of carbs! And don't even get me started on typical Estonian burgers!

Real American burger. Very soft and squishy bread there.


And then it all went uphill. I got my ID card/bus pass (yay! ...and the picture didn't come out too bad.), then I went back to the lab for a signature and also got to talk with the group leader who suggested what I could do before I get the lab safety training. He also found me a desk and assigned me another person who I could turn to with questions and such. Ah, what a relief. A funny thing though - the group leader kept introducing me as "Kristiina from Finland." And I kept correcting him, "...Estonia!". It was slightly distressing the first time, but I found it really funny when he did it the fourth time! He also got it right a couple of times.

After my 2-hour walk to the beach and plenty of errands around campus, I walked back home. I bet I walked at least 5 hours today, or about 25 km. Not bad for a pregnant woman, right? Ah, it feels so good to just sit here. I also think I got some sun today. I'm sooooo sleepy now. I'm starting to feel like that's how I end ALL my blog posts. Seems like all I would do is sleep!

I think they got their Stonehenge wrong.

Almost forgot to mention... The bank situation had a twist ending - I put my card in an ATM machine and it was unable to read that I have any money on that account. Therefore I couldn't take out any money from the ATM! I'm gonna call my bank later today - I mean, at the start of office hours in Estonia. . The way I figure, it's their fault and they have to fix it. I specifically went to a bank in Estonia, showed my card and asked, "Will this work in USA? ... Might I encounter ANY problems with getting money with THIS card in USA?" No problems, she said. And then first my card doesn't work in any stores and second, it doesn't even work in ATM machines. I'm considering switching my bank. I have a about $25 cash.

No comments: