Saturday, November 15, 2008

Oh the dangers!

This is a Friday evening quick post. Actually I went out and partied, and I got home after 1 am, so I will write about that tomorrow. But I still wanna post all the stuff that I had wrote before noon when I was bored.

I've been wondering something... They have these fire emergency water splashing systems in the ceilings. I do understand the need for those so close to desert, but... Well, you see, in Estonia it is not atypical to get a false fire alarm. Everyone's just sitting there, minding their own business when suddenly this horrid sound starts beeping everywhere - people try to hold their ears and keep shouting things like, "Who was the jerk that triggered it?!" or "Turn that bloody thing off!". Then you know that someone either smoked indoors or some material dust got into the alarm system, or maybe something was burned when cooking, the last thing you assume is actual fire! One false alarm after another. But here it would be different. People are just minding their own business when suddenly it starts to "rain" everywhere - the TV is fried, the stereo system is fried, DVD player, VCR (they actually still use those! ), microwave, refrigerator, etc. And then it's all wet and all the water is linked to all the electrical stuff and everyone is fried and they die . The end.

The deadly weapon lurking above our heads.

But people don't seem to be terrified for their life when they enter a room with one of those water splashing things. Don't they have false alarms? And even during a real alarm - is death by electricity somehow more merciful than death by fire so they prefer that in stead? Mhhh...

PS! Take it with a pinch of salt. I don't really think those things are lethal. But all the electrical appliances seem to be at risk here.

pretty big picture.

I think I figured out why I've been having problems with Internet! A couple of hours after I come to the lab, Internet starts disappearing every few minutes. I usually don't have that in the apartment, but yesterday evening I did - I had the laptop on the bed and I was playing with the cat and talking with my husband on Internet phone when suddenly Internet disappeared. I got it back, and then it disappeared again... Then I realized the computer was too warm. The stupid ventilation system is below the laptop, so when I put the laptop on my bed, the ventilation holes were covered. This caused overheating and the wireless device started malfunctioning temporarily.

All that sun has its downsides.

Now I realized the same is happening in the lab. My table is in the sun and the same with my laptop. A couple of hours after I come to the lab, near noon, my computer has been overheating from all the sun and the wireless starts to malfunction. When things get really bad and it doesn't even FIND any of the wireless connections nearby, I can usually flip the Bluetooth off and on and it seems to help. I have no idea why. I don't think Bluetooth is in any way responsible for my wireless Internet connection. I do think that I just proved my theory - I got the computer out of the sun and my Internet connection is stable again. I think I need a more permanent solution than just lifting my computer out of the sun - FOIL TO THE RESCUE!

Noisy activity putting it up there, but I did helluva good job at it.


Anyway, today was also pretty slow at the lab, but otherwise great.

3 comments:

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Um..

Tegelikult on mul tunne, et gooooood girl on lihtsalt robot, kes skännib blogisid ja jätab sinna oma kommentaare. Tema veebiaadress on miski pokkeriplats...

Aga meie ikka loeme!

(siim kõrvalt mulle: "Pidid ikka ära rikkuma, jah")

Kris said...

:) kustutasin ära. :)