Sunday, November 23, 2008

Not from North Pole

I really want to do some more sunbathing, but the weather hasn't been all that great. During the best sunbathing time I'm usually in the lab, so I should try to get the most out of the weekend. So I looked at the weather broadcast and it said 23 degrees for today and 21 degrees for tomorrow. Both days partially cloudy. Out of two bad choices, today was a better one. I but on my bikini, took my book, and went to lie by the pool. Half the time light clouds were hiding the sun and at one point it even got quite chilly. I was the ONLY one there. People were walking past doing their own things. They didn't look at all like they would even consider sunbathing at such a cold cloudy winter day. I really felt I come from a colder place - not North Pole, but as far as I'm concerned, close enough!

I'd look for gold in those juice packages.

Apparently, whenever I go to the store, I buy oranges. I was there just to get some yogurt and also minced meat if I like the price and quality. ($8 packages are not really what I need. They were all too big.) I also wanted orange juice but changed my mind. As I walked through fresh foods sections I saw these really tasty ripe looking oranges, at least 4-pound package. I have oranges at home, but mmmmmmmm... Could not leave these ripe oranges at the store. I know I will eat them! I used to suspect, but now I'm pretty sure it's a craving. Good thing I'm pregnant during orange season!

I did something really stupid - I forgot my passport at home when I went out with the Germans. In Estonia, that hasn't been an issue since I finished high school. I know it hasn't been that long since then, but I barely remember it. In Estonian clubs they do ask for ID, but in my case, it's my ID-card, which is better than a passport in Estonia. Passport is just for traveling and actually not always needed inside EU. Here, it's just a piece of plastic. At the door of every pub, bar and pub, there is a bouncer asking for a passport. One guy who is over 30 years old and has spent two years in San Diego, said that without a passport, it's impossible to get into any place. You probably see the problem with forgetting my passport at home.

Going back for the passport would take more than two hours. If I'm extremely unlucky with catching a bus, it might even take over 3 hours. I apologized and said that I'll just hang out for a little while (It had taken me an hour to get there), but then I'll go home. Even I don't want to just stand outside or sit at some fast food place. They said we'll look around just in case - maybe we find some place where we can get in. First place was very strict. "No exceptions, sorry." The second place looked the same. Two tough-looking body guards were guarding the door and chatting. We approached, and they were still not paying attention to us. We entered, and they STILL didn't pay attention to us. And we were in!

Had to take that picture, just like a true tourist!

When we got enough of that place and decided to move on, I said that I'll go home and wished them a good time partying. They were really sweet and waited for the bus with me, even though I said I'll be okay and they should move on. I promised to take my passport tomorrow. I already put it in my bag so I don't forget.

Ah, one odd thing that I saw - there was a burger place which never has any customers at all. I've walked past it many times and it's always empty, but I've never paid much attention to it. Then I saw that they had a sign that looked like it actually said "Fatburber". Haha, no wonder they're no visitors. But really there was only one line missing and it was supposed to be "Eatburger", so it wasn't really their fault. Or is that really so? When I was riding past it later on the bus, I saw the name of the place. The burger place is really called "Fatburger"!!! They definitely should change the name in the modern health food California!

"Eatbuger"? Nooooo. It's definitely "Fatburger".

PS! I just heard that there's almost 2 meters of snow in Estonia. Like, WHOA! I guess I shouldn't complain about "only" 23 degrees and partially cloudy.

Oh, and it seems the post isn't very picture-heavy. I do have a bunch of pictures on my camera, but I don't want to post pictures of other people here because I like to distribute the blog link very freely and I don't want them to think that my photo camera is a dangerous machine where any of the pictures might be published somewhere online.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, this 2m was a bit overrated. 10-30 cm is more like it.

(ma ei tea muidugi teiste paikade kohta)

Anonymous said...

Nüüd on veel mõnikümmend cm juurde tulnud! Kogu linn on pea peal! :) Paar tundi varem tühjaks kühveldatud kõnniteest pole enam midagi näha.

Täielik jõulukas igatahes. Aga väljas olla on küll kibe, kui just burkat ei kanna. Või vähemalt suusakostüümi+balaclavat. See viimane element oli mul kahjuks puudu...

Kris said...

Siin kõik Sakslased räägivad, et jõulutunnet sel aastal küll ei teki - noh palmide all päikse käes ei saagi eurooplasel jõulutunnet tekkida.

Jätke osa lund siis kindlasti jõuludeks kah. :)

Anonymous said...

Räägivad, et nädala lõpuks on ära sulanud.

Aga meie maja juures on üks kunstlik hang umbes poolteist meetrit (st laurile kõvasti üle pea) ja Aardla tänava ääres on mitu 3-4 m kõrget hunnikut. Ägge.